Maximize Peak Performance

Eat Soccer! News Page

Sunday, January 18, 2009

Are You Headed In the Right Direction?


I have been missing for a couple of days, but I have a good excuse. I have been feverishly preparing to go to DC for the Inauguration. Between workouts and cold weather planning, my compass has been focused on heading north.

Now that I am settled in Dupont Circle with my long time travel partner (Porter), it became readily apparent today that this is a weekend where people will be required to know where they are heading.

Around 3:30 a.m. this morning, I was driving the first leg of our nine hour road trip. It so happened and a car seemed to be heading in the wrong direction on the highway. Upon further inspection, the car made a sharp turn and moved to the side of the interstate. It became quickly apparent that the front end of the car was smashed in and smoking. Intoxicated perhaps? Sleep at the wheel? We were not certain, but we made sure to notify the authorities to ensure that this driver was able to receive some assistance to get going in the right direction.

Less than seven hours later, I found myself scrambling on the streets of our nation's capitol trying to determine an alternate route to my mapquest instructions. It appears that the road closures are occuring a little earlier...Eventually, patience and lots of good fortune prevailed as we found our way to our Dupont Circle hotel.

Not even this small hiccup could cause us to skip out on yet another opportunity. Standing in a sea of hundreds of thousands of people, my friend and I listened to an array of artists share the history of individuals who, representing the interests of the common good, seized their chance to move our country in the right direction.

My weekend in DC has just begun. Who knows how many more times I will get turned around? One thing is for sure. We each have the chance to conduct small acts to move the needle. Take the opportunity tomorrow to participate in National Service Day. As this past election has shown, every individual when acting for a collective cause can take us farther North!

No comments: