Maximize Peak Performance

Eat Soccer! News Page

Monday, January 5, 2009

A Little Extra Goes A Long Way


Would you like to make some more money? Do you desire to make the team? Is your desire to get back to your fighting weight?

Whether we want to admit it aloud or not, we all have goals. I happened to be working on one specific goal in training this morning. A new year has brought a few new changes in my training routine.

A more intense routine brings with it an ever increasing desire to savor those 15 second rests in between drills. No such luck. In 08', I had a squat stance during these rest periods. It served two purposes. I could keep stretching my knee while getting a good breather so I could hit it again.

Today, there was several public vetos of my rest posture. "Get up Qiana!" (My friends will tell you that I am not a fan of public reprimands.) "Get up Qiana!" (I am just trying to catch my breath responsibly and without bending over.) "Get up Qiana!" (My knee is still a little tight because of the cooler weather.)

All of these silent thoughts were meaningless because I didn't want to hear my name being called again. Also, I knew, if I sucked it up and created a new habit of keeping a standing posture during these intense workouts, that it would pay off in the 88th minute of a hard game.

For the last two years, I have heard one of my trainers say that the details add up.

Take a look at your goals for this year. Figure out what extra small steps you can take and do them. You will be amazed at how these little actions will carry you a long way!

No comments: