Maximize Peak Performance

Eat Soccer! News Page

Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Don’t Be Fooled: It’s The Monster Plantation


“That’s what you get for trying to be first! Tell her Wise.” I was squatting and panting to catch my breath when I heard this comment yelled over the music in the gym today.

I had just finished a nine set, hurdle suicide drill, and struggled to maintain form, speed and track of the hurdles that I had cleared. The result was a slight straddling of the next to last hurdle so I could recall if I needed to stop and go back or if I needed to clear the last hurdle to do the final stretch run.

Amidst the yells of encouragement and scolding from the session leader, I was not expecting to hear what I interpreted to be a you-need-to-stay-in-your-place-(girl) declaration to all of the guys in the session.

The taunting comment added salt to the wound of what I would consider one of my most “confusing” performances. My brain rang the alarm, and all reinforcements came rushing in. “Silence is the best response.” “Leave the gym immediately.” “Dude’s issue with you beating guys on the drills is his problem not yours.” “Apollo Creed AE wouldn’t ever say that.”

All the truth of those statements didn’t immediately stop the stinging. But what did put me back on track was a recollection of stories.

1. The City: Whitney pulled a killer Diane Von Furstenburg outfit for the Jessica Alba cover. Her co-worker Olivia was against the ensemble. However, when it ended up on the cover, Olivia took all of the credit.
2. Story of Dr. Vivien Thomas: He was a pioneer for cardiac surgery, and he was not acknowledged for his discovery until many years later.
3. Slumdog Millionaire: Salim told Jamal to forget about Latika, but time and time again he kept searching.
4. The Alchemist: Santiago was beaten up at the pyramids and told by the robber how stupid he was for treasure hunting.

Although Whitney has not received her just acknowledgement and I am not quite to my goal, the stories of Dr. Vivien Thomas, Jamal and Santiago prove that no one can keep you from your destiny if you stay focused.

It reminds me of a ride at Six Flags called the Monster Plantation. When the ride starts out you enter the house and all these creatures are having fun, and they want you to join along. As your path continues, the lights dim and Billy Bob tells you to turn around. However, the boat continues, the house lights go out and you have to face the monster.

Does the monster eat you? No. You go straight through the mouth and on to an even better party at the end of the ride.

Our journeys are just like that. We are going to come across monsters who choose not to recognize our talents or go out of their way to belittle our attempts to be the best. All we have to do is just keep going, keep looking at the goal and know that we will make it to the big party at the end. Whatever to those Monsters!

No comments: