Maximize Peak Performance

Eat Soccer! News Page

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Are You Even Here?


How often do you go through the motions of your everyday routine? Well, I must admit it seems to be pretty often when I am in familiar territory.

As misfortune would have it, I changed lanes on Peachtree Road a few weeks ago and "lost" my side mirror. I was so preoccupied with my running list of errands that I didn't see a Mountaineer in my blindspot before casually sliding slightly into the left lane.

The horror! The driver yelled at me, and I exclaimed, "I'm so so sorrrry. I didn't see you!" In a matter of days, the issue was resolved, and I kept it moving.

Now on yesterday, while timidly darting across the road, my workout partner said, "Qiana, sometimes I watch you here in Atlanta and wonder how you make it all by yourself in these foreign countries."

Apparently, I return to Atlanta or to Seneca or to any other place of familiarity--and literally, check out. I do enough to cross the street, drive my car effectively and who knows whatever else.

As a person who has read stacks of books about living in the moment, I wonder if my moments are too full that some important things "like paying attention" seem to fall through the cracks.

No comments: