Maximize Peak Performance

Eat Soccer! News Page

Monday, April 19, 2010

Search & Seizure: 3 Staple Items In My Travel Bag


I boarded my flight in Miami with a slight concern. Every international flight I’ve been on requires you to fill out that immigration entry form. It asks the usual information-who, when, where and why are you showing up. Well, I did not know the answer to one of those questions. What is the address where you will be staying?
I had to be quite frank. I ran through the list of options. I could…1. Fake it and put a hotel that I had read about on the internet ( my memory is selectively impeccable in this regard). 2. Leave the space blank. Pray to Jesus for His white light to get those armed, Colombian guards to show me some favor. or 3. Write in a hybrid of 1 and 2—la casa de mi amigo (the home of my friend).

I tried to see if I could take a cue from my seat partner. The entire flight I thought this guy was Colombian and knew exactly what was going on. Come to find out, he asked me in plain English how to complete the form since he was Puerto Rico American, from New York, a new transplant to Phoenix and on his 1st trip to Colombia. He put his US address in the blank—not a good look…

Well, I left the address blank and concluded that God could only shine his face on me for not falsifying this document.

Outside of this blank space on my form, I have to confide my impending encounter with Colombian immigration brought feelings of slight trepidation. I am an upstanding traveler. Don’t get me wrong. However, immigration officials can make the process short or long. If they want to personally be in your business (which does happen), there is nothing stopping them.

Well, the Colombian official didn’t give me that much grief until he eyed the address box. There seemed to be a few trick questions. Why are you here? To visit a friend. Are you here for work? No. I am here to visit a friend. Where are you staying? In the home of my friend. What is the address? I don’t know, but I have a phone number.

The phone number was the lifesaver…and I was passed along to another guard who asked me the same question. Only 10 feet stood between me and freedom—and fortunately, he let me take that walk.

In previous instances, immigration officials have engaged in a search and seizure that would make onlookers think that I was really a suspicious character.

Do you want to know what they usually see? Here’s 3 things that you will always find in my travel back if you do a search and seizure.

1. Satin Pillowcase: Some people wear head wraps. I sleep on a gold satin pillowcase. Cotton pillow cases wreak havoc on your hair. You know I have to protect the curls!
2. Business Magazine: Depending on the length of the trip, I will have at least one. This time I have two-Fast Company and Inc. I am almost finished with both…
3. Fruit Snacks: I can’t transport fruit, but I need a snack that takes up minimal space, differs from my trail mix and crackers. Fruit snacks are a logical choice. Also, they are a great peace offering to pass along to new friends!

P.S. I forgot to pack my pillowcase on this trip...not a good look

No comments: