Maximize Peak Performance

Eat Soccer! News Page

Thursday, April 15, 2010

Columbia or Colombia Colombia?

I am in Colombia. I know this may raise an eyebrow because many of you didn't see this coming. Neither did I to be quite frank.

In the midst of planning another trip to Brazil, a series of events took place that have me typing this entry from a small inn in Barranquilla as Velez and Deportiva Italia battle it out in a 2010 Copa Libertadores match.

Before you hit up Barranquilla on Wikipedia, I will tell you that the city is quite large and is located on the Caribbean side of the ocean. This city is known for its 4 day Carnavale.

It was less than a week ago that I began conducting a serious inquiry into all things Barranquilla. By Monday, I was debating the finer points of selecting an airline.

My experience today confirmed that my airline selection was on point. I selected the Colombian airline for the second half of my trip. The price was excellent, and I like to get my cultural immersion started time I pull away from the final domestic gate.

Avianca reconfirmed the interntional airline place in my mind as a traveler's "best bang for your buck" when it comes to air service in 3 ways.

First, they shun the idea of charging for unncessary items. A pillow and blanket were waiting for me in my seat free of charge.

Second, they want their passengers to relax into the experience in a healthy way. Shortly after our gate departure, warm toilettes were distributed to each passenger.

Third, they anticipate client needs. Who would like to kill time with a little reading and television. Flight stewards distributed free newspapers and magazines to us for our reading pleasure.

Fourth, they move fast and do the unthinkable. How about they served a full on free meal for a 2 hour flight?!? I know all you frequent domestic fliers got the memo on the $5 can of peanuts, not to mention the meal charge if you do have a flight long enough to have meal service.

Lastly, customer service can be earth friendly. Did I mention that my beverage cup(s) were 100% biodegradable?

Next time you want to take a jaunt out of the US, take a look at one of those international airlines. You will more than likely get way more (in a good way) than what you bargained for!

P.S. I know the audio is low but enjoy taking a look at what's left of my free Avianca lunch!



No comments: