Maximize Peak Performance

Eat Soccer! News Page

Tuesday, April 29, 2008

I Just Want to Watch the Game


Yesterday evening, the coach reminded me that Brazil would be playing an Olympic qualifying match against Ghana this morning. My intent was to be front and center to watch this game uninterrupted from start to finish. Since the game was at 8:30 a.m., I figured that I could watch it at my usual breakfast spot, Zona Sul. They have a nice big, flat screen television. Although it was not guaranteed that the channel would be set to the game, I had a good feeling I could politely request a channel change.

I approached a guy who always works in the café area to inquire about watching the game. He happily agreed to change the channel. (Honestly, who would decline to showcase their country’s team engaging in competition at 8:30 a.m. on a Saturday?) Once we found the station, I decided to return the favor by loading up my plate with enough food to eat intermittently throughout the course of the game.

There were only a few customers sitting in the café area having breakfast when the game began. I did notice that there was a lady sitting at the next table. She was elderly, had on a cardboard, Indian headdress and was drinking a beer. Now, I thought to myself that this was not the time for me to pass judgment. I had a game to watch.

As soon as I finished my thought, the lady gets up from the table and comes over to me.

Lady: Esta chuvendo. (It’s raining)
Qiana: Um hum (with a smile) (the game has just started-so my eyes alternating between the lady and the screen)
L: Chuvendo…Chuvendo.(she switches to English)...Raining…Raining…
Q: Sim, Sim (Yes, Yes)
L: Where are you from?
Q: Estados Unidos (United States)
L: Sweden?!
Q: United States
L: Oh, you should keep your bag close to you. (My bag is directly in front of me on top of the table.)
L: It is such a beautiful bag. (She picks up my bag, rubs it and places in on her shoulder. (Please note that I am prepared to run this lady down if she tries to turn with my bag.))
L: You have to be careful because people will take it.
L: Today is the day of the Indian. I will get you a headpiece. (She leans over to my ear and whispers) I need to get nine more because I have 10 grandchildren and I want to give each of them one.

I received two minutes of peace before she returned.

L: Here. You can take this to America as a souvenir.
L: Do you like this sport? (Pointing to the television)
Q: Yes
L: You have nice legs. When I was your age, I had legs just like you. (The lady turns to a guy working in the café.) Do you know her?
G: No.
L: She is American. Look at those legs. I used to have legs just like her, but now I am older. Look at my legs!

Everyone is silent.

L: Are those your friends? (She is pointing to the Ghanaian soccer players on the television.)
Q: No
L: What do you think about Hillary Clinton and Obama?
Q: I think change is good.
L: I like Hillary. I do not know this Obama. Hillary is a lady, but she is like a man. I would vote for her. Change is not always good. I changed husbands. Do I make the right decision? I don’t know, but I am old now. When I was married to my first husband, I was thin and beautiful. Then my friend, she liked him too! I left him. I get new husband and I don’t know if I make the right choice. Change is not always good. (I would be curious to know if her 2nd husband felt the same way. You there are two sides to every story…)

I am silent. (When elders speak and I don’t know what to say, I usually go with silence.) During this time, the lady starts playing with my hair.

L: In Rio, we sit up straight. She proceeds to move my legs directly under the table and pulls my shoulders back. You know I come here every morning. (I make a mental note of the time.)
Q: Obrigada (Thank you)
L: Have fun in Rio, and be careful. (She straightens my shoulders one last time and hits me on the back.)

Well, she pretty much occupied the majority of the 1st half of the game. Fortunately, I was able to watch the remainder of the game in peace.

As a nice reward for my tolerance, I had a wonderful opportunity at practice later. Donda, a member of the 1st Brazilian Women’s National Team, was present at our training. She is in her 40’s (which I think they consider ancient here) and she went through the entire workout with us. During our scrimmage, she played on my team and she gave me a few pointers (in Portuguese of course). It was really amazing to see her move with the ball. This lady is tiny and fast. I mean how many people get to play alongside Brazilian National Team members? This moment was priceless!

1 comment:

Nakiba Williams said...

This sounds like everyday at the office here. Everyone has an opinion and a story they want to share whether or not you ask.