Maximize Peak Performance

Eat Soccer! News Page

Monday, April 14, 2008

Interview with an American Tourist


Hello doctors, lawyers, IT gurus, journalists, ballers, preachers, teachers, fashionistas, rappers, actors, administrative assistants, superstore managers and sales clerks. Although this list is not all encompassing, I think I pretty much greeted 98% of the people that frequent this blog. I know most of you fall under that umbrella category of “ballers” so do not be offended if I didn’t list your specific job title of Chief of Paperclips at B&B records….

I have a treat for you today. As I promised in the Not For Tourist entry, I have snagged an informal, one-on-one interview with an American Tourist!!! Put your hands together and clap everyone because you are getting the inside scoop on one man’s journey to Brazil.

To maintain the identity of this gentleman, I am going to give you some general background on this guy. I think it is only fair since he was so gracious, open and frank with me in his discussion.

My typical Wednesday routine included lunch at a restaurant around the corner from my living quarters. I frequent this place so much that I simply walked up to the counter. I did not have to say an order. For protocol purposes, the cashier greeted me and told me the price of my order. As I was preparing to pay, I noticed a gentleman hunched over the counter stumbling over an attempt to communicate his order. The guy looked in my direction as I was sitting at the counter waiting to receive my food.

I proceed to my usual table on the second floor of the restaurant. Unfortunately, all of the booths were taken so I sat at a large table. The American guy came upstairs as well. He approached my table to say…”you are the reason that I came to Brazil.” Fortunately, I spoke before he had a chance to say those words. I said, “Hey, you want to sit at my table?” I think I had some residual guilt from the guy and the rental car situation, plus I had 5 empty chairs at my table. Why not share? The guy paused and with a look of surprise said, “You speak English!” He was definitely excited. We exchanged all particular information and I asked him if he would be so kind to give me his personal story. He gladly obliged. Enjoy and thanks again to my interviewee for providing me with an entertaining and insightful conversation last Wednesday.


Background: African American male who currently resides on the West Coast. This gentleman is equipped with quick wit, solid looks and a highly compensated career. (Age range: 29-33)

Q: Why did you come to Brazil?
I: I came to see the women. Some guys come to look. Other guys come to do other things. Then, there are other guys that meet women and have “long distance” relationships.

Describe your group’s make-up.
Most of the guys I know have been coming to Brazil for years. They were coming here long before the rappers and other guys publicized that it was cool to come here. One guy, in my group, has an on-again-off-again relationship with his Brazilian girlfriend. A few of the other guys have been here several times, but a few of the guys in my group are first timers like me.

Do you ever talk to the women?
Yes. When you come to Brazil, you expect to get rejected because of the language barrier. Guys do not mind that. For example, in America I would not have tried to approach you because I think you would’ve told me to go away, but here it is different. You really look Brazilian…. (Compliment Accepted by Qiana Here).

Do you think that you have received a good return on your investment?
Yes! I have seen the most beautiful women in the world here. They are everywhere. Their shape, facial features and skin complexion are second to none. (As an aside, he prefers the darker complexion ladies.)

Do you have any plans to take in any of the other sights in Rio?
Yes, I have a cultural tour scheduled on Saturday.

How do you like the clubs?
They are alright, but if you do not speak the language it is hard to talk to the women because they speak very little English, if any at all. You may dance with them for a few songs, but that is about it.

Why do guys come to Brazil, especially if they can’t communicate with the women?
Guys like to be around beautiful women. It just does something for their egos. They don’t have to talk to them. It is just wonderful for them to see them. Do these statements offend you as an African American woman?

No. I have a brother and know a number of guys who provide me with insight into the male psyche so I am not offended in the least. Also, I think (in the end) all of the pairing off just works itself out. I think it’s better that you are with the person that you want to be with than settling because of tradition or culture.

Now, if you meet and like someone who doesn’t speak your language, would you conduct a relationship with the person? No, because it is just too hard. For example, the cultural nuances can not sometimes be translated to people who are not native speakers of a particular language. I may tell a joke and she will not be able to understand it. This would be too frustrating.

What is the common perception of African American men by the Brazilian women?
They think that we are all rappers or basketball players. The ladies want to meet you because they think you have money. (For the record, this gentleman at first glance may look like he is the financial advisor for a rapper or legal counsel for the basketball player—but he definitely would not be mistaken for a rapper or basketball player in America.)

Do you plan on returning to Brazil?
I will return if I learn the language. Otherwise, I do not think so. However if I am still single when I retire, I will own a place here and come to Brazil a couple of times per year just to see the women.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Bravo Q! Good and funny interview....and yes, if I ever make it down to Brazil it would be for the very same reasons!


Les

cmanbrazil said...

Don't blame it on Rio, by Jewel Woods, is a new book out about African American men traveling to Brazil, the reasons behind it, and what are some of the ramifications on African American middle class relationships between men and women.

Nakiba Williams said...

Harpo, who dis man?