Maximize Peak Performance

Eat Soccer! News Page

Friday, April 4, 2008

I Left My GS Card…


Since the wireless on my laptop is still out of commission, I have been going to an internet café close to my current, temporary residence.

Background
The café has lots of computers that people rent by the minute or hour to handle all of their “personal” and professional business. Yes, I have seen some “personal” webcam business occur in the internet café. I had to just ignore it because the clock continues to tick on my computer.
The two girls that regularly work in the café do not speak any English. I think this may be one of the reasons that they are able to charge a cheaper fee. The other, more expensive internet cafes, in the area, have workers who are bilingual.

Main Story
As I am on my computer, a gentleman literally dashes into the internet café. It was such a commotion that I glanced over to the front desk to make sure that I wasn’t unaware of any potential “developing” situations. Initially, I thought the guy was Brazilian (the population in Brazil runs the gamut in appearance, in case you do not know); but when he started speaking, I knew he was American. He frantically asked, “Can I rent a car?” The girl at the front desk had a blank stare on her face. The guy repeated, “Do you rent cars?!” It seemed like such a strange request that I think I had this confused smirk on my face when the guy looked at me. The girl replied in Portuguese that she did not understand him. As a result, the guy spoke louder and slower, “Where can I rent a car?”

At this point, I am trying to think where a car rental place could be located. To be honest, I had not ever seen one. Everyone I know has a car or uses public transportation. However before I had the right mind to step in and speak, the guy darted out of the door. The girl at the front desk looked at me, shrugged her shoulders and laughed.

Today, it seems that I must have left my Good Samaritan card at home. This guy, probably through 6 degrees of separation is a cousin of someone I know, needed some help. Moreover, I really felt bad that I did not lend my assistance to this guy because his line of questioning suggested that he may not necessarily need to be in the market for a rental car in Rio.

So if I could turn back the hands of time, I would assist this gentleman by asking him the following questions below. I may not ever see him again; but perhaps if you plan on heading down to Rio, these questions and responses may help you save some time and anguish in the arena of car rentals.

Do you really need a rental car in Rio if you can’t read the street signs? I know it is common for travelers in America to rent cars when they travel to other cities. Internationally, you may want to reconsider unless your business requires you do to so. The drivers here do not stick to a lane. It is common for multiple cars to share a lane. Rarely does anyone use signals of any kind. It is pure chaos.

Who directed you to the Internet café to rent a car? You have to be weary of who you take advice from. People might hustle you. If you must go to an internet café to ask about car rentals, head to Rua Xavier da Silveira/Avenida N.S. Copacabana, and you will see over to your left Tudo e Facil. Those guys are nice, and they will speak to you in English to get you going on the right path. Also, it would be more advantageous to ask the front desk of your hotel. If you are not staying in a hotel, try the Savoy Othon right on Avenida N.S. Copacabana. Many of the bellhops speak English and can, once again, put you on the path to obtaining some wheels.

In closing, I just want to wish the gentleman from today a fun and safe time in Rio. If anyone thinks that they know the guy from this entry, please extend my apologies for not translating his request for him...

No comments: