Maximize Peak Performance

Eat Soccer! News Page

Thursday, April 24, 2008

Men Talk

I had the chance opportunity to see my interviewee walking down the street on the day of his departure. We exchanged pleasantries, and as we were conversing, another American man passed by us on the sidewalk. My interviewee stopped mid-sentence to say a few sentences to the guy. Being that I am inquisitive, I asked my interviewee if this gentleman was a member of his traveling party. My interviewee responded that he was not, but as a matter of course, the men all make a point to speak to one another.

On the next morning, I was heading out of my building when I passed by two gentleman from America. The men did not speak, but they did make a point of discussing (amongst themselves) the fact that I was American and I play soccer. I kept walking. It immediately became apparent to me that the cat was officially out of the bag.

One conversation with one American tourist was all that it took.

The following day during my afternoon visit to pick up an item or two from Zona Sul. I noticed that there was a table full of American tourists having pizza. When I passed by their table, one of the gentleman stopped me. He had not received the memo that I was American, but one of the other members quickly brought him up-to-speed. This guy had heard me speaking to my interviewee on the sidewalk a few days earlier. Had I ever met this guy formally? No, but I didn’t want to be outdone so I quickly informed him that I knew he was staying on the 9th floor in my building because his apartment appears to be an apparent revolving door for the American Tourist. The guy look taken aback but then commented that I was the “rude Brazilian” that would not speak to him on the elevator…Rude, quiet or merely observant-these adjectives are interchangeable depending upon whose side of the story that you get.

It is less than one week since my first meeting with a tourist, and I have been invited to sit down and have a conversation with four American tourists. I looked at my cell, checked the time and figured that this was an opportunity that I should seize. These guys were full of questions, and ready to provide me with a little more insight into the “American Tourist.”

Location: Zona Sul (Copacabana) Time: 15:20 Age Range: 35-50

Fast Facts:
· All of the men came alone. They did not come with a group of friends.
· All of these gentlemen are veterans to visiting Brazil.
· The gentlemen met on previous trips or during the current visit.

Initially, the guys put me on the hot seat. They were fascinated by my reason for being in Brazil. I answered their questions, and quickly moved the conversation to one that they would enjoy-themselves. I gave them a brief overview of my Not For Tourists entry, which they found to be entertaining when I publicized the famous Rua Xavier da Silva corner. However, they asked me to name the local meet-up restaurant for the brotherhood. I was stumped. Now, I had an educated guess, but no one would confirm.

As the conversation continued, the “pizza party organizer” explained that many American Tourists look forward to coming to Brazil because they have an opportunity to meet their peers. Most of these guys are have careers in professional sectors, and because everyone is 5,000 miles away from America, they are more prone to being cordial towards one another. This is something that does not necessarily occur routinely stateside. From these cordial conversations, these American men are able to exchange their experiences and, most importantly, information. For example, another gentleman approached the table with a young Brazilian woman. All of the guys knew this gentleman, and in the midst of the conversation, this gentleman spoke of needing the services of a barber. One of the gentleman announced that he has a barber who he uses when he is in town. The barber would be making a house call during the upcoming weekend, and the gentleman could come over for an edge-up.

In my hour visit with these guys, I witnessed them exchange information with each other (and me) regarding: where to buy good shoes for a low price, the location for a nearby historical military site, why everyone should go to the movies in Rio and how the theaters let you bring in food from outside the theater. Also, they allotted a few minutes to putting together their collective knowledge on a former politician’s questionable activities.

My grandfather always told me that men talk. It is true. They talk a lot. For the American tourist, these conversations are an admission pass to the boys club and instruction manual to making the most of the Brazilian experience.

No comments: