Maximize Peak Performance

Eat Soccer! News Page

Thursday, February 5, 2009

Only 4 Obama: Up 4 A Round?

After possibly getting two hours of sleep, my friends and I slowly rolled out of bed to get dressed for the Swearing-In Ceremony. Our original plan to be at the subway station by 4 a.m. was definitely on the revision board after returning to our room at 2:30 a.m. from the Illinois Society Gala.

It was shortly after 5:00 a.m. when we boarded the train to head to our designated entry gate. We managed to calmly survive the crushing crowds on the subway platform to emerge into the cold, dark morning. Our goal was to make our way to the best possible spot in the unorganized crowd of people waiting for the security checkpoints to open.

As a way to pass the time, my friends and I made small talk and jokes. I had made up in my mind long before arriving in D.C. that I had planned to entertain myself by singing. (For the record, I don't have a particularly melodic voice.)

In order to get my other friends on board, I suggested that a song was in order. I reiterated that I am a fan of the round. It was a technique that I learned in Music class while in grade school. One person or group begins the song. A few seconds later, others join in and ultimately by sheer luck they end up coming together at the end. Oddly enough, this type of singing fascinates. For once, my friend Tonya took the bait. She began singing the famed "This Little Light of Mine." I could not contain my laughter as I joined in. Apparently our entertainment was contagious because other voices began to join in. Before we knew it, a diverse group of silver gate ticketholders became a choir.

It was awesomely surreal, and Tonya was pleased with her contribution. I think I may suggest round singing more often. Who knows what may happen?

No comments: