Maximize Peak Performance

Eat Soccer! News Page

Monday, March 24, 2008

Does Opportunity Even Matter?


A few entries ago, I mentioned that a coach from a university in U.S. came to watch the members Team Chicago scrimmage. There are a number of people on the team whose age and technical ability make them perfect candidates to play at the collegiate level.

When the coach talked to us after the scrimmage, I was slightly sad. The coached mentioned that they would have to pass the English equivalency exam to be considered. Please keep in mind that all of this information was being conveyed to everyone through a translator. So you can pretty much figure out, from that previous statement alone, how many girls are able (at this time) to pass an English equivalency exam.

Being witness to this conversation was the equivalent of all of the stories that we know or hear about in the United States. There is that great athlete that wants to play college sports. Schools want them to come. However, they are just lacking that required SAT, GPA or other academic competency. Many times, these situations can be overcome if someone can just instill the knowledge of other preparations that may be necessary for this person to achieve their dream.

After our next training session, the coach talked to us about the coach’s evaluation of our game. He named 7 to 8 players that the coach had a strong interest in for possibly joining his team. Out of those people, only one person has the ability to speak English.

You can receive all of the opportunity in the world, but it does not matter if you lack the preparation to take advantage of it. I don’t have to tell you how this opportunity could change the lives of those 8 people and their families. Many of these people take buses from all over the Rio region just to come to train.

The coach continued with his explanation of the importance of learning English and how it can allow them to take advantage of these opportunities. Moreover, the coach mentioned to them an email that I had sent to him a day earlier offering to help the girls learn English during the remainder of my time in Rio.

Now, I will admit. I have not ever taught anyone English. However, I have been speaking it for quite some time, and I am hoping that my investment of 10-15 minutes, going over a worksheet or two with them after training, will give them a foundation to start from.

I haven’t located an easy-to-understand, English/Portuguese book at any of the bookstores that I have visited. If anyone knows of any resources, teachers or web sites that can give me advice or point me in the direction to where I can obtain free exercises to teach beginner level English, please email me.

On April 5th, I will have two months remaining, to my knowledge, in Rio. I want to make sure that every day, of these two months, that I have a new worksheet, exercise, etc. to provide to them. My teammates cheered when the coach made the announcement, and I became a little nervous because I know that I have signed up for, what many may consider, a daunting task. However, I don’t think I would’ve been presented with this opportunity if I did not possess the tools to make a meaningful contribution.

I look forward to receiving your advice and leads. Thanks in advance for your help!

No comments: