Maximize Peak Performance

Eat Soccer! News Page

Monday, March 24, 2008

Jesus Christ is Alive! Let´s Eat Chocolate!


Now I cannot reiterate to you enough that I am a little out-of-sync with my time here. I knew that Easter was coming, but I really didn’t know when it was almost here until….I went into the grocery store and the store was dark. I would go to other stores and the lighting was dim. Moreover, there were these multi-colored, egg-shaped things hanging from the ceilings of these stores. Sometimes due to my tall heightJ, they would hit me in the head, and I would have to duck.

Whatever these things were, they were not cheap! People were running around pulling them from the shelves and ceilings. I decided that I would give myself some time and just observe. Perhaps, I would just be able to figure some things out for myself. Over these next two weeks, I realized that all of these pineapple-size eggs were filled with Chocolate!

I don’t know if I have mentioned this to you before, but Brazilians love three things Jesus, coffee and chocolate. I am thinking I have the order correct too!

I want you to imagine being in your hometown grocery store during the height of shopping for Christmas dinner. Now, I want you to add the Valentine’s Day and Halloween candy craze into the picture. I think that best sums up what I witnessed during the days leading up to Pascoa (Pah-skwal) (Easter).

On Good Friday, I had to get to the bottom of it because I wanted to make sure that I was on the right side of the law. For those of you who do not know, Brazil is a democracy. However, you will get punished by the law if you do not vote. Therefore, I decided if I needed to buy a Twix or a small egg to fall in line with the rest of the population in my support of Jesus’ resurrection, I was going to do it before he arose on Sunday.

I happened to get to training a little earlier than usual. Igor was there. I have been working on my Portuguese so I asked him what is the situation with all of the chocolate and Easter. He seemed amazed that we did not eat chocolate for Easter. To sum it up, you buy these chocolate eggs, and give them to people. They have tiny ones for kids. They have big ones for adults. There are different types of chocolates or bom boms contained in the eggs.

This discussion was joined by a few more of my teammates who all decided to give me the rundown on how good it is to eat chocolate for Pascoa. My trainer seemed surprised that I had not received an egg from someone yet.

We shall see because I have two days until Pascoa. While your out picking up those lace socks and new ties for your Easter celebration, make sure you pick up a little piece of chocolate. Jesus is alive, and we all should celebrate by eating a little chocolate! J

No comments: