Maximize Peak Performance

Eat Soccer! News Page

Monday, December 29, 2008

Left Behind


















Have you ever loved something or someone so much that you had to run out and leave? I have.

These experiences almost always center around food. For the record, I have a love affair with certain food groups. It is an off and on sort of thing because I am pretty disciplined when it comes to my diet.

However, I go home for the holidays and the fried chicken, cakes and pies look so seductive. My aunt offers me some delectable German chocolate cake. My aunt's sister makes these out-tha-box pound, red velvet and italian cream cakes. Who can pass that up? Then, my mama tries to send me home with a whole pumpkin pie and a box of ginger ales!

Each moment I savor a good seasoned thigh or mouthful of dessert, I spend 5 minutes reflecting on how many abs I need to do or how much I can run to temper the sluggishness of my next workout with my trainers...

By the time Friday came, I was frantically trying to pack up my car and get thee out of my hometown lest I be accosted by another restaurant invitation or piece of dessert.

About 5 miles into my getaway, I realized that I had left the remaining pieces of my italian cream and pound cakes behind. I was distraught, but I refused to turn around. My determination to get out, with just a whole pie and the ginger ales, was just too strong. Sometimes you have to cut your losses. For me, the cake had to get left behind...

P.S. Cake Update: "Your loss was our gain. Your grandmother and I ate the cake," said my mama.

No comments: