Maximize Peak Performance

Eat Soccer! News Page

Saturday, May 31, 2008

My Feet Are Precious


I know that my feet are precious. However, if my feet could talk, they would probably say otherwise. Sometimes, I subject them to unnecessary and stressful conditions. (As a self-labeled fashionista, there is nothing more exhilarating than to slide my feet into a serious pair of hot stilettos.)

After my ACL reconstruction, I decided to make a compromise with my feet. Only under the following conditions would I tip in a pair of potentially painful shoes:

1. If a circumstance requires calf flexion and quad display. (these situations do exist)
2. If an outfit will be compromised by wearing flats.
3. If I can quickly interchange the “selected shoes” at a moment’s notice with a more agreeable pair.

So my stiletto struts are kept to a minimum. Therefore, it is common to find me all over the place (club, mall, street, etc.) in some extra hot kicks, sandals or flats. So I shouldn’t encounter any problems, right? Well, not exactly because, all of the “sandalistas” out there know, certain sandals will turn on you if you put to many miles on them at a time.

On yesterday, I felt that my feet were long overdue for some TLC. I selected a pair of cute sandals to make the quite lengthy trek to the nail shop and over to my teammate’s boutique for a little “souvenir shopping.” I glanced down at the intricate braiding at the top of my sandal, and had a thought that perhaps it may cause a problem for me. However, I quickly dismissed it because the sandals were too cute and I wanted the world to see them. (This would be their Rio debut.)

To make a long story short, there was some irritation during my journey. This irritation turned to a few blisters which became even more aggravated during my individual training sessions because I shoot, juggle and pass balls without shoes on.

I tried a band-aid but it won’t stick. It does not feel or look pretty.

As of Wednesday, May 28, 2008, I promise to treat my feet properly in word and action. From this day forward, I am taking all precautions regarding my feet. This includes using the correct ball (beach soccer) when I am juggling barefoot in my spare time (which was wreaking havoc of a different kind (but that is content for a separate entry) and adhering to the limitations of the shoes that I wear.

No comments: