Maximize Peak Performance

Eat Soccer! News Page

Wednesday, May 7, 2008

My Secret Weapon: The Extra Mile

I like to ask questions. Anybody that knows me should have observed this by now. My questions are not random. They always have a point.

On one particular day, I was at my gym in Atlanta, and I was asking a fellow athlete a series of questions. This guy has played at the highest level in his sport, and alongside some great players. So I asked him to tell me his opinion of what makes an athlete a great athlete. He pretty much summed up a great athlete as a person that gets to the weight room early to get in extra reps and stays late to work on different aspects of their game. This person goes the extra mile.

I have always been a fan of the extra mile. As a result, I have been keeping an eye out for someone to direct my extra mile efforts. Yes, I run the beach. Yes, I juggle the ball. However, when you have someone pushing you, correcting small details and getting you lots of reps, it really elevates your game so that you can make your best contribution to the team.

Therefore, it is with great pleasure that I introduce you to Paulinho Pereira. Paulinho is an ex-player for Vasco da Gama. Vasco da Gama is one of the four major soccer clubs in Rio de Janeiro.
We had our first session this morning, and it was absolutely excellent. Our training session took place at the beach. Working out in the sand has several advantages.

1. It is harder to run in sand. Therefore, when you get back on grass you are must faster.
2. Working out in sand helps to keep your ankles strong.
3. You are forced to correct your touch on the ball. Since you are barefoot, a wrong touch will hurt your foot.

Today, we did a series of dribbling and shooting drills. All of the drills involved cones and incorporated a number of direction changes (backpedaling, shuffling and diagonal runs). It was a quick, hard workout. I am definitely looking forward to our session in the morning.

No comments: