Maximize Peak Performance

Eat Soccer! News Page

Saturday, May 31, 2008

Your Bumper, Your Fault


It was a long day at training yesterday. Our session ran long, and I had to wait to receive my uniform for the next day’s game so I was trying to catch the first bus heading to Leblon. Just as I crossed the street to head to the bus stop, I noticed a Leblon bus approaching. I quickly hopped on, checked the time and hoped that I would at least make it to my fallback dinner restaurant in time to catch the first half of my favorite novella Duas Caras (Two Faces).

Since it was after 8:00 p.m, the bus crowd was quickly thinning out. The bus was moving pretty quickly and I was glad. The last thing that I wanted was to be making the quick (yet dark) walk to my place of residence. About half way through the route, I heard the bus driver yelling as we crossed through an intersection. It was followed by a loud noise, a slight jolt and then we stopped. I thought to myself, “I hope we didn’t hit anything because I don’t want to draw out my trip to Leblon any longer.

Unfortunately, the bus hit the back of a new pick up truck. The bus driver was angry because according to him the driver of the truck caused an unnecessary accident. Of course, the driver thought otherwise and had a demolished back bumper to show for it.

The toll lady told me and the other passenger that we would have to catch another bus. We both were heading to Leblon so we patiently waited for another bus and watched as the two men argue their stances on the accident to one another. Eventually, the driver of the pickup realized that he would have a series of financial repercussions because he was at fault in the accident, and he decided that the police did not need to be called.

The cars stopped honking their horns and everyone went back to their respective places on the same bus so we could continue our journey to Leblon. For precautionary purposes, the lady took my contact information in case I suffered any medical problems from the accident.

Fortunate for me, the situation was cut and dry. Your bumper, Your fault!

No comments: