Maximize Peak Performance

Eat Soccer! News Page

Sunday, February 24, 2008

Pre-Game Ritual: Eat Ice Cream


Ice Cream has always been one of my favorite things to eat. I think this may be my kryptonite. Well, maybe there are some other foods that make me a little weak too...So I was out last evening to get one scoop of vanilla ice cream (in a cone) at Sorvetti´s Italia. I have mentioned this place before in one of my previous blogs. It is an ice cream establishment that (I think) originated in Ipanema (an area of Rio).

It was a nice, warm evening and all of the tables and benches were full for the most part. However, I noticed that there was one seat left at this table where a guy (who looked very nice) and a young boy were sitting. The gentleman was standing so I motioned to him if I could sit down and he agreed. A few seconds later a young lady briefly approached the gentleman, asked him a question and then walked off. I did notice some people staring, but I just brushed it off. Well, I continued sitting at the table and we all enjoyed our ice cream. Then, an older guy approached the gentleman at my table and said something about Vasco....

Vasco is one of the professional soccer teams here in Rio. Every inhabitant of Rio has their affiliation between the four teams (Vasco, Fluminese, Flamengo and Botofogo) I will put it gently to say that people are fanatical about their teams. One girl on my team just unvieled her newly tattooed ankle that has a soccer boot with the Vasco logo on it!

To make a long story short, I watched the highly anticipated match between Vasco and Flamengo this afternoon. Who was one of the guys on the pitch for Flamengo? Yes, it was that gentleman who was kind enough to let me have a seat at his table.

The ice cream must have done the trick because that guy played fabulously and the victory went to Flamengo 2-1.

P.S. Picture to be uploaded soon!

No comments: