Maximize Peak Performance

Eat Soccer! News Page

Saturday, February 9, 2008

Welcome to Brasil!


There is a picture of Brasil that is commonly shown. No, it is not the picture of the scantily clad women on the beach. It is not the picture of famous footballers (soccer players) celebrating a goal or even the pageantry of Carnaval. It is the picture of the statue of Jesus with outstretched arms that hovers above the entire city of Rio de Janeiro.

Today at training, I believe that I officially was provided with the beginning of the type of welcome that this statue has for me during my stay in this lovely country. On the way to training, Pamella did the symbolic catholic air cross today, and I should’ve taken note of that this was a sign. It has been downcast and rainy here since my arrival. However, this morning began differently. It was a bright clear sky this morning as we headed towards GAP, one of two military schools that we train at. We use their exercise facilities (i.e. training fields).

Our session started a little late because there were two men’s teams battling it out in a good game of futebol (soccer). One guy even tried to pull the notorious “hand of God” where he tried to secretly hit the ball up in the air with his hand. However, he was not as fortunate as the soccer legend Maradona (Argentina) because the referee immediately gave him a yellow card! It was hilarious and everyone laughed.

The grass at this facility was real and it is similar to grass in warmer climates. It is real thick. I can’t explain it, but it’s probably the grass we are all supposed to have if we didn’t pollute so much or have change of seasons or something. I am not sure, but I have not ever been a fan of running in it because I know that it comes with the hottest weather known to man.

Speaking of which, did I mention that the sun was out and it was hot? It was that kind of hot that you know in your heart, that no matter what you do, you just can’t escape it. So I put on my sunscreen, warmed up with the rest of the girls and proceeded to play three, thirty minute games with technical and tactical instruction from the coaches.

It was 12:45 p.m. when we finished so you do the math, and think about what the sun feels like, during the summer, in your city. I do not think I need to explain the temperature any further or the girls’ amazement at my tan when I took off my shin guards. Between my training and the beach (which I get to go to as a treat tomorrow), I may return to Atlanta with a UV ray protected, tan that will last me through April 2009.

1 comment:

eddymon said...

Hey there
Dont forget pics of practice,the beach(with you on it)and the city.
Use the throw away camera on the beach. Tell them to take you to Via Show on a night when there is no practice the next day.
Tchau!!! ED