Maximize Peak Performance

Eat Soccer! News Page

Saturday, February 9, 2008

Want to Hustle a Rollercoaster Ride in Rio? Think Again



I can already tell that the start of my days running together is about to begin. As I was walking down the street to catch the bus to training with Pamella this morning, I couldn’t figure out how long I had been here. The reason I was trying to figure it out was because we had a training this morning at around 9:00 a.m. Although I was able to get eight hours of sleep last night, I felt like I couldn’t stay awake walking down the street. My mind and body were operating like it was 4:00 a.m. so I was trying to think about how long it may take me to get adjusted to the time change.

Well, a few buses pass us by on the street and I am getting my fare together (two Reals (the Brazilian dollar) and ten cent (Brazilian ten cent coin)) and the bus arrives. For those of you who have had the opportunity to see the movie City of God, it is the same set-up as in the movie! For those who have not seen the movie, (I highly suggest you see it) the bus has a driver, then a turnstile (kind of like at the amusement park) and a person sitting in a raised seat beside the turnstile. This person collects your money, gives you any necessary change, and operates the turnstile to let you get to a seat.

So for those of you who have hustled your way on to public transportation in other cities, it is definitely not happening here. You have two people watching to make sure the city gets all the money that it is due.

My last two training sessions have been at facilities located outside of the Copacabana area so our bus rides have been pretty long but fast. When I mean fast, I have to say I don’t know what time schedule these bus operators have to keep, but it is literally a rollercoaster ride the whole way there! Each ride has had all the hills, all the curves and everyone holding on to the railing and sliding all over their seats. It always ends an abrupt stop too. I am tempted to start cheering at the end because it is pretty entertaining. It definitely gives the Mine Train (Six Flags-Georgia) a run for its money because I don’t know where the bus is going next, and I don’t know how long the ride is going to last.

Side Note: This blog entry is being written to the sounds of T-Paine’s song Bartender being played from Marciella’s room…

P.S.S. The images are of actual Rio city buses. Please note the blurriness of the second picture. It was going so fast that the lens just couldn't capture the bus clearly...

No comments: